Vue aérienne du Chateau de Saint Aubin sur Loire Les communs du Chateau de Saint Aubin sur Loire Chateau de Saint Aubin sur Loire Potager du Chateau de Saint Aubin sur Loire
Chateau de Saint Aubin
Introduction
The Château The exteriors Gallery Restoration
Visits
Saint Aubin sur Loire

The ChateauHistory [History of the domain] [History of ownership]
Presentation of the Château [Description] [Architect]


Medals representing Mr. des Gallois de la Tour as well as the two chancellors d'Aligre
Medals representing
Mr. des Gallois de la Tour
as well as the two chancellors d'Aligre

History of ownership

Mr. Charles Jean Baptiste des Gallois de la Tour, had been the Intendant of Provence and the First President of Parliament of Aix since 1748, positions that he had inherited from his father.

He had married Marie-Madeleine d'Aligre, daughter of Etienne-Claude d'Aligre, the Second President of the Parliament of Paris, belonging to one of the oldest noble parliamentary families and possessing one of the largest fortunes in France.

Allied with all of the greatest parliamentary families: Lamoignon, Lepelletier, Machault, Talon, Lambert, etc.…the d’Aligre family, originally from the region of Chartres had given France great statesmen, including two Chancellors of France, Etienne II in 1624 under Louis XIII and Etienne III named by Louis XIV in 1674.

Although Mr. des Gallois de la Tour would spend his entire career in Aix-en-Provence , he remained faithful to his Bourbonnais region, and more particularly to Arfeuilles (Allier-03); the cradle of his family, where he "was of considerable bourgeois stature" and where he liked to spend time whenever permitted by his duties to the King.


The rise in social status of this family began around 1598 with the acquisition of the fief of la Tour de Chalabran (Saint Pierre Laval-03) whose name it would bear henceforth, then the rise continued 50 years later, in 1653, with the Viscounty of Glennet (between Droiturier and Andelaroche-03); lands which must be associated with those of the most famous regional families: Chabannes, Levis-Chateaumorand and Chatelus.

From there, passing by Barrais-Bussoles, Lenax, Le Bouchaud, Le Donjon, Liernolles (Allier-03), in 1679 the Gallois de la Tour family came to Dompierre sur Besbre, the domain neighboring the Abbey of Sept Fons, ceded by Bernard de la Guiche to Jean des Gallois de la Tour, the great uncle of Charles Jean Baptiste.

A social rise could also not occur without important matrimonial alliances, therefore, let us mention, the names of Roy, Le Gendre, du Buisson, Obeilh, Chavagnac, Aligre, families found in the Parliaments.


Coat of arms for Mr. Charles Jean-Baptiste
des Gallois de la Tour and his wife
Mrs. Marie-Madeleine d'Aligre

When Jean des Gallois came to Dompierre in 1679, the lord of Saint Aubin was none other than Charles Le Gendre, the great grandfather of the Intendant of Provence. But it was not due to heritage that the latter acquired this domain, since Charles Le Gendre had transmitted the domain to his son François while his daughter Anne was to marry Pierre des Gallois, brother of Jean (Dompierre) and grandfather to the Intendant. Following the reform by Chancellor Maupéou, in 1771, which exiled all parliaments, Mr. des Gallois de la Tour withdrew to Saint Aubin where, from 1771 to 1777 on a platform dominating the Loire Valley, he built the current Château based on plans by the Burgundy architect, Edme Verniquet. From the beginning, Mr. des Gallois had not intended to rehabilitate the old castle, so long abandoned.

During the Revolution, Mr. des Gallois de la Tour took refuge in Saint Aubin where he suffered no disturbance, and stayed there until 1793, the year in which having come to Paris in order to remove the name of his granddaughter from the list of Emigrés, he was arrested and jailed in the Luxembourg prison; owing his life only to the fall of Robespierre in Thermidor.

Returned once more to Saint Aubin, Charles Jean Baptiste des Gallois de la Tour died there in 1802.

His granddaughter Mademoiselle de Pontcarré, heir to half of Saint Aubin, married the Marquis d'Aligre, nephew of her grandmother, who purchased the other half from the brother of his wife, Mr. de Pontcarré, the Marquis de Viarmes.

The couple had no children and left Saint Aubin and half of their immense fortune to the city of Bourbon-Lancy with the charge of building a hospice, which still exists today, under the name of the hospital of Aligre.

The château and 3000 hectares of land were sold by Bourbon-Lancy; several families succeeded each other until its purchase in 1999 by its current owner
.


Chateau de Saint Aubin sur LoireChateau de Saint Aubin sur LoireChateau de Saint Aubin sur LoireChateau de Saint Aubin sur Loire
Chateau de Saint Aubin